Monday, February 10, 2014

Side Stitches

While you're running, have you ever gotten a sharp pain in your side? I know I have. This pain is called a side stitch. When I get this pain, it gets so bad that I often have to stop and take a break. When I got my new issue of runners world over the weekend and found an article on how to get rid of them, I was glad to read it.

Basically, people think that they come from your diaphragm being under fatigue and cramping. There are ways to avoid getting a side stitch. The magazine says you can strengthen your core. By doing so, your diaphragm becomes less likely to fatigue and cramp. Also, you can watch what you eat before you run and see what foods might induce the stitch. They also say that starting your run off slow might stop the stitch. Breathing deeply will also expand your diaphragm and avoid the side stitch.

Knowing these new ways to avoid side stitches, I'll be able to run more efficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment